- Manage, create or delete databases,
- Create, drop or rename tables
- Alter table structure
- Add or drop keys and indexes
- Add, remove or change the properties of columns
- Add, modify or delete records
- Search tables
- Manage users and privileges
- Backup and restore databases or tables
- Write your own queries
- Save queries and results
- Optimise tables
Bear SQL evolved after 7 years of development from the MYSQL Table Manager. The first version of the MySQL Table Manager, then named the PHP:MySQL Record Manager was released on the 11th of December 2001. It did what it name suggested managed records in a MySQL Database. Later versions added more and more features until a name change was inevitable.
The name changed from the PHP:MySQL Record Manager, to the PHP MySQL Table Manager, and finally to the MYSQL Table Manager, dropping the PHP to shorten things. I was never really happy with the name, it had become restrictive, the application did much more then just manage tables.
In 2008 I thought it was time for a change I re-themed and added a hand drawn polar bear on a snow board as a logo mascot. Having freshly returned from snowboarding in Japan it somehow made sense to me at the time. Yeah I know there aren't any polar bears in Japan. So with the new mascot and the desire to rename to something completely different every couple of months I would search the web for suitable domains and application names. It took a while to finally come up with Bear SQL and now that I have, I am very happy with it.
- Francois for permission to use the beautiful Polar Bear images, used on this site and in the Bear SQL application.
- famfamfam icons for the silk icon set used in Bear SQL
- Drupal the site CMS and how I make my bread and butter.
- Thanks to everyone who provided feedback and suggestions